News

Inquest opened into Manenberg shooting death of Shanell Thiro

Phiri Cawe|Published

Manenberg police have opened an inquest into the shooting in Sea Rose Street that left one dead.

Image: Phiri Cawe

Police in Manenberg have opened an inquest docket following an alleged shooting that residents say took place earlier this week, after initially denying that a patrol had occurred or that any shooting had happened.

Police spokesperson Captain Ian Bennett confirmed to Athlone News that an inquest docket has been registered after the death of 29-year-old Shanell Thiro, who was allegedly shot in the leg and later died from complications on Tuesday, February 10.

"An inquest docket has been opened for investigation after reports of a 29-year-old female who died on Tuesday, 10 February 2026, at Groote Schuur Hospital shortly after being admitted. It is alleged that the 29-year-old female was taken to the hospital on February 2 after suffering a rubber-bullet injury during a confrontation with SAPS members in Sea Rose Street, Manenberg. The injury was to her left leg. She received medical treatment and was discharged from the Heideveld Emergency Centre,” he confirmed.

Captain Bennett said Ms Thiro was admitted to the hospital again on Tuesday, February 10, where she later died due to medical complications after the wound allegedly turned septic.

“SAPS detectives will be following up on information received and are awaiting post-mortem results. Anyone with information regarding this incident can contact Manenberg SAPS,” he said.

Manenberg residents and family members of the deceased have welcomed the news, saying they feel vindicated after police initially denied that the incident had taken place.

Resident Fabian Jacob said he hoped the investigation would be concluded soon and that those responsible would be held accountable.

“This is positive news from the police after they denied their involvement. We were really shocked by what they said and were left dumbfounded. But now, as residents who stood behind the Thiro family, we are relieved. We cannot wait for justice to be done,” he said.

He added that Ms Thiro had been a breadwinner for her family and that her death had left them devastated. While he described the opening of the inquest docket as a victory for the Manenberg community, he also expressed concern that police had initially denied an incident that many residents claimed to have witnessed.

Police have urged anyone with information to contact Manenberg SAPS on 021 699 9400 or Crime Stop on 0860 010 111.

Find Athlone News on TikTok and Instagram @ccmonlineza