News

Manenberg Primary School is not relocating

Marsha Bothma|Published

Reports and rumours that Manenberg Primary School is closing or relocating have been dismissed as false. Pictured are parents and the community outside the school during a peaceful demonstration on Monday February 16.

Image: Supplied

Reports and rumours that Manenberg Primary School is closing or relocating have been dismissed as false.

Amelia 'Tara' September, a Manenberg community activist, told the Athlone News that parents raised concerns after hearing the school would close at its current site and be relocated due to budget constraints and safety issues.

A parent meeting on Wednesday, February 11, called for transparency and engagement before any decisions are taken. This was followed by a peaceful demonstration on Monday, February 16, when some parents locked the school gates to draw the attention of the Western Cape Education Department (WCED) and demand clarity.

Ms September said she engaged both the WCED and the school since Wednesday, January 29, when the alleged reports first surfaced.

The Manenberg Primary School pupils outside the school during a peaceful demonstration on Monday February 16.

Image: Supplied

Felicia Goff, former school-governing body (SGB) member, parent, and chairperson of the Manenberg Early Childhood Development (ECD) Forum, told the Athlone News on Friday, February 20, that relocation concerns did not originate from the community.

“The circuit manager met with the SGB on Wednesday, January 29, about a possible move. Parents were unhappy. After a planned meeting was cancelled, a peaceful demonstration followed on Monday, February 16, where parents locked the gates so that the WCED could come out and address us,” she said.

Ms Goff said parents were later assured the school would not relocate, but now want clear, written details on the budget and future plans.

A parent who asked not to be named said she felt relieved the school would remain open, but remains concerned about when the school will be rebuilt, as it has prefabricated classrooms.

Parents Ashiqah Ackerman said holes in the classrooms pose safety risks for pupils, while Kayla Cupido called for honesty, improved security, and a brick boundary wall around the school.

WCED spokesperson Bronagh Hammond said a message circulated on a WhatsApp group falsely claimed a meeting was about the school’s closure.

“The WCED can confirm that this is incorrect. The school is not closing, nor is it relocating,” she said.

Ms Hammond said a meeting had been arranged to discuss collaborative ways to address pupil and teacher safety concerns linked to ongoing gang violence in the area.

“The school engaged with parents to confirm that this is incorrect. The matter was resolved. However, the false allegations resurfaced, and a letter was issued on Tuesday, February 17, again informing parents that these rumours are not true,” she said.

“We appeal to the public to refrain from spreading false rumours which unnecessarily cause panic and stress,” she said.

“Ms September said she also received an official letter from Alan Meyer, deputy director-general for institutional development and co-ordination, reassuring the community that there are no plans to close or relocate the school.”

He said the WCED remains committed to maintaining the school’s presence in Manenberg and will work with stakeholders to address safety concerns and ensure a safe environment for pupils and staff.

Follow Athlone News on TikTok and Instagram @ccmonlineza